Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Critical Reflection

This is my critical reflection for my short film “In Pursuit”
  • How do your products represent social groups or issues?
   My products are rooted in the issue of abduction and the dangers of stalking. As my short film was developed, I wanted to portray the beginnings of how stalking may begin, it starts as an obsession that leads to a heavy desire. My short film about a stalker attempting to harm a teenage girl and her realization that she is at risk is a powerful commentary on a variety of social issues and groups. The film primarily addresses the issue of stalking and its potential for violence. Stalking is a serious crime that frequently goes unreported and is misunderstood. My product serves as a stark reminder that stalking is more than just unwanted attention and can quickly devolve into a violent situation. The adolescent girl symbolizes the vulnerability of young women in our society. In my film, it emphasizes the importance of being aware of our surroundings and taking precautions to protect ourselves, like when "Chloe" began discussing her assumptions with her friends and noticing that the stalker used her first name even though they had never met. The stalker personifies some people in our society's dangerous and often predatory behavior. My products emphasize the dangers posed by such people and the need for society to protect potential victims. My products also highlight the importance of community involvement in preventing and responding to stalking and other forms of violence. When the teenage girl realizes the danger, she is in by providing a shoulder of reliance, her friends come to her aid in your film. This underscores the cruciality of a support system and the role that we can all play in preventing violence. By bringing these issues to light, we can increase awareness and promote change in our society.
 
  • How do the elements of your production work together to create a sense of ‘branding’?
   To create a sense of branding from this production I started by making sure everything was tight in one place, I made a Gmail for the film. With this, I created a social media presence, a website, and a postcard all under one general account. I primarily began with choosing two fonts, a color scheme, and an overall thematic design aesthetic. I chose a font for a bold and urgent mood and a handwritten font to emphasize tension by the creepy look it presents. For the color scheme, I chose navy blue, blue-gray, white, black, and red like blood. These colors matched well the costumes of the stalker and the victim- “Rachel” and “Chloe”- in the first scene. While considering all these elements, I made the film logo that I plastered on each of my film accounts, the website, and the postcard, it is unique to the film. It has “IN PURSUIT” in the center with an icon of two stick figures chasing each other to signify an attack. I used the film's logo as the basis for the fonts and color scheme on both the website and postcard, but I also incorporated a thematic aesthetic featuring a red string corkboard or a "crazy wall" design. It entails crumbled paper backgrounds, pictures with polaroid frames and filters, and red lines or circles on people, objects, or notes. As a producer of this film, I believe the website, postcard, and film work together to show consistent visual and narrative elements, helping reinforce the project's message and tone. Each component complements the others, resulting in a multidimensional experience for the audience and the development of a strong brand identity.
 
  • How do your products engage with the audience?
   As the creator of a series of products, including a website, postcard, and short film, I have put a lot of thought into how these products engage with my audience. The success of these products depends on several key aspects of design. The visual design of each product is critical. All three products feature a consistent color scheme and typography that reinforce my aim to create a sense of familiarity and coherence for the audience. The content of each product is carefully crafted to thrill the audience. On the website, for example, I use concise and engaging language to convey the core message and reviews of the project. The postcard features an attention-grabbing image, a brief call-to-action that encourages the recipient to learn more about the project, and an interactive QR code. The short film is designed to tell a compelling story that draws the audience emotionally, especially teenagers or parents. I have made sure to create multiple touch points for the audience to engage with. By offering a range of products, including a website, postcard, and short film, I aim to appeal to different preferences and create opportunities for the audience to interact with the project in diverse ways. For example, the website offers a more in-depth exploration of the project's accomplishments and cast, while the short film offers a more visceral and adrenaline-pumping experience. Overall, by careful attention to visual design, engaging content, and multiple common grounds, I believe my products can effectively engage with my audience.
 
  • How did your research inform your products and the way they use or challenge conventions?
     My series of products, which included a short film, website, and postcard, were based on extensive research I conducted to better understand the genre conventions, audience expectations, and social issues that my work would represent. The short film investigates gender roles and women's experiences in society. The film challenges the traditional depiction of stalking and violence as primarily male oriented by featuring both the stalker and the teen being stalked as female characters. Furthermore, it defied thriller genre conventions by centering the story on a young woman and portraying her as a proactive and resourceful protagonist. This portrayal goes against the traditional representation of women as passive and vulnerable and offers a more empowering and progressive alternative. Instead of relying on traditional horror tropes, such as jump scares or graphic violence for a topic like stalking, the film focused on building tension through a nuanced exploration of the protagonist's emotions and experiences as a thriller would. This approach was informed by research into the experiences of real-life stalking victims, as well as a desire to challenge the way that women are typically represented in horror and thriller films. Conventions were used more traditionally on the website and postcard. For example, the website used a familiar layout and structure to make it easy for the audience to navigate and find the information they needed. To ensure that the postcard stood out and captured the attention of potential viewers, it used a recognizable format and design. Finally, my research enabled me to question conventions in some areas while employing them in others. I was able to create cohesive products that addressed the task's central social issues.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

This is my critical reflection for my short film “In Pursuit” .  How do your products represent social groups or issues?    My products are ...