Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Editing Changes

  Tonight, to contribute to all the editing Lili has been doing I suggested we do a group shared photo album. With this Lili was able to move the shared videos and photo album of our group onto her iPad. I then told her the shots for each scene because we had so many takes. Then together we but the shots in order of scenes and trim each one for a clean transition in between shots in the same scene. So far there was five scenes covered so, mostly the beginning three minutes of the film. After that we decided to clip the shots that have the same acting but from a different angle. Especially the scene in the grocery where Angie took many takes from different angles. It helps for a jump cut fast pace. As a co-editor, I started watching all of the footage and noting the best takes and moments. It's critical for me to understand which shots work well together and which ones our team may need to retake. As previously stated, during the rough cut stage, I experimented with different pacing and shot sequencing to find the most effective way to tell the story. I also paid close attention to the sound design, including the proper timing of the music and silence space to hear the characters speak in order to increase the emotional impact of each scene. I showed the rough cut to Lili for feedback and we worked together to refine the edit. This involved making cuts, adding or removing scenes, and adjusting the pacing to better align with the emotional arc of the story. I also worked on color grading to ensure consistency and cohesiveness of the shots. As the edit progressed, I became increasingly concerned with smoothing out transitions between shots and ensuring the story flowed smoothly. One of the most difficult challenges I encountered was balancing the need for visual interest with the need to keep the story clear and easy to follow. Throughout the editing process, I kept in close contact with my team members to ensure that everyone was on the same page. I also took detailed notes on each edit so that I could easily go back and make changes if necessary. When I got to the end of the fourth scene (the last one so far), I started thinking about how we wanted the film to be distributed. This can be done via YouTube or by simply posting it on the blog. I also worked on the film's promotional materials. Editing a short film takes time, but seeing the finished product come together is always incredibly rewarding.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

This is my critical reflection for my short film “In Pursuit” .  How do your products represent social groups or issues?    My products are ...